The Friends of Monterey Pass offer a wide range of activities throughout the year, both on their own behalf and in collaboration with others. These activities are included in the downloadable list, the pocket schedule, and as shown in the calendar that follows. For more information see “Recurring Events” and “Special Events” below the calendar.
- Monterey Pass Park Hours: The park is open to the public from dawn to dusk year round. Evening hour activities can be approved by the Chairman of the Board of Washington Township or his designated representative. The Pavilion must be scheduled through Washington Township. Contact information is located on our “Contact Us” page.
- Museum Hours for 2021: Monterey Pass Museum will be open each Saturday and Sunday, 10 am to 4 pm, from April 10th to October 31st 2021. A wide array of artifacts and stories are available each weekend. A great place to start or stop your exploration of the trails and scenic overlooks in the park.
- 4-Seasons Photo Contest: Friends of Monterey Pass are looking for striking digital images to celebrate Monterey Pass during any of the 4 seasons of the year between September 1, 2020, and June 30, 2021. Prizes for the best three photos are $150, $75 and $50. A flyer and detailed Rules and Guidelines are available for download. Join the fun. Winners will be announced at the Museum on Saturday, July 17th at 12 noon.
- April 1, 2021: Battle of Monterey Pass Online Presentation at the Adams County Historical Society (ACHS): Join members of The Friends of Monterey Pass Battlefield—Darwin Seiler, Lee Royer, and John Gorman—as they retell the story of the battle, and give you a video tour of the site today. Walk the mountain paths with your guide, enjoy the scenic views from visitor-friendly park trails, and explore the museum located on the site of the Battle—all without leaving your comfortable armchair.
This presentation will run on the ACHS Facebook page on April 1 at 7:00 pm. The link will take you directly to the ACHS Facebook page. It will not be posted until April 1.
ACHS Facebook page:
. . . . . https://www.facebook.com/achspa
Not able to watch live or want to watch it again? Visit the ACHS YouTube channel to view this or any of ACHS’ past virtual programs.
ACHS YouTube channel:
- May 15 & 16: Living History Weekend at the Battlefield Park featuring
- 10am & 2pm both days: Cannon Demonstrations at the Museum
- 9:30am & 2:30pm Sat; 9:30am & 1:30pm Sun – Infantry Reenactments at the Museum
- 9:30am – 5pm Sat; 9:30am – 2pm Sun – Living History – Civil War Camp Visit at the Museum
- 11am & 3pm Sat, 11am Sun: Civil War Professional John Galie Walking Tours in the Park
- Food and beverages by Antietam Dairy
- Music in the Park: Live bands will entertain with a mix of country, blue grass, light rock and other genres on:.
- May 22nd (2 pm – 4 pm): Waynesboro High School Band musicians will play at various locations on trails in the Park. Walk the woods on our trails and enjoy the music. Chicago Charley’s Hot Dogs and Antietam Dairy will be there for lunch or a snack. (Inclement weather day is Sunday, May 23, same times)
- June 26th (1 pm – 4 pm): Enjoy blue grass sensation “Dead Horse Revival” at the Pavilion. Chicago Charley’s Hot Dogs and Antietam Dairy will be there for food and beverages. (Inclement weather day is Sunday, Jun 24, same times)
- July 24th (1 pm – 4 pm): “The Flying Matlocks and Soleil” will entertain you with great mid-summer music. Food and beverages will be provided by Chicago Charley’s Hot Dogs and Antietam Dairy. (Inclement weather day is Sunday, Jul 25, same times)
- August 21st (1 pm – 4 pm): Nationally known Celtic trio “Across the Pond” will bring their distinctive Irish and Appalacian music for your enjoyment. For a little variety, Fat Russ’ BBQ and Antietam Dairy will be on hand for your culinary needs. (Inclement weather day is Sunday, Aug 22, same times)
- July 3rd – Experience the Day of the Battle at the Museum and Park:
- Visit the Museum: 10 am – 4 pm
- Ghost Pit Tours: One of our most popular activities. Come back in the evening to take a tour with the Ghost Pit as you look for and meet the ghosts that live in the woods around the battlefield. Ghost Pit Tours cost $20 which gets donated to the museum. It’s a lot of fun for the whole family (times TBA)
- July 17th – Art in the Park: Come meet local artists who will be on hand at the Museum and surrounding grounds who will be displaying and selling their work . . . OR, if you’re a local artist, register online at https://forms.gle/jddoyKMHVZsg4MkK6 or send in the downloadable registration form. Chicago Charley’s Hot Dogs and Antietam Dairy will be there for food and beverages. (Inclement weather day is Sunday, Jul 18, same times)
- July 24th & 25th – Civil War Professional John Galie Walking Tours in the Park: Enjoy another day of professional guided tours at 11 am and 2 pm Sat, and 11 am on Sunday.
- August 21st – Civil War Relics Day: For all collectors, an open invitation to share your artifacts and relics of the Civil War with friends and neighbors at the Museum.
- September 18th & 19th – Civil War Professional John Galie Walking Tours in the Park: Enjoy another day of professional guided tours at 11 am and 3 pm Sat, and 11 am on Sunday.
- October 30th – Ghost Pit Tours: Closing the season with one of our most popular activities. Take an evening tour with the Ghost Pit as you look for and meet the ghosts that live in the woods around the battlefield. Ghost Pit Tours cost $20 which gets donated to the museum. It’s a lot of fun for the whole family (times TBA)
- October 31st – Last day of the 2021 Season: The Museum will be open for the last time this year from 10 am – 4 pm.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~